Thoughts on blogging and my 4th of July ride

Below is a description of yesterday’s ride, which I posted on my other blog; as you can see from my lack of posts here, I’m not entirely sure what the fate of this blog will be. Right now I’m not feeling particularly inspired to write about training, although I have had lots of thoughts about it. I’m hesitant to shut this one down, though, because I never know when inspiration to write here will come back. These things are very cyclical for me.
One bit of news, though: I have hope, finally, of being able to run again. I’ve been seeing a new doctor for my foot because the first podiatrist didn’t help much; this new guy is a chiropractor but he does other kinds of therapy too, and he’s also a triathlete, which I like a lot, as I feel he knows more about how to help me (which may not be true, but he’s certainly more interested than the other guy was in helping me get out running again). I’ve had over a week now with no twinges in my foot, and I ran a mile on Thursday with no pain afterward. Oh, except for quad pain because I haven’t run in 5 months or so and all my conditioning is now gone!
Here’s the post about yesterday’s ride:

I rode my first century of the season today. A friend of mine is training for an ironman, and she asked if we wanted to ride 100+ miles today, and of course I couldn’t say no. So we set out at 7:30 this morning with a group of five: it was two triathletes, one road racer, and Hobgoblin and I.

The first part of the ride was good, except for some sprinkles, but rain when the temperature is in the 70s doesn’t bother me. But then disaster struck: the other road racer all the sudden went down. I was behind him, but I didn’t really see it; all I saw was bike parts flying across the road and the rider skidding across the pavement. We never discovered exactly what happened, but it appeared that somehow his fork detached from his front wheel, sending the front wheel flying and snapping the fork in half. The rider was okay, amazingly enough, suffering only some scrapes and road rash, as well as tearing his jersey. No broken bones or head concussion. His bike frame may be salvageable too.

The crash really shook us all, though. I’ve been behind too many crashes and too often have had to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid bodies and bike parts and then hope that the fallen rider is okay. It can happen all too easily.

We waited for about an hour for the rider’s wife to come pick him up, and then we decided to keep our original plan and finish the ride.

From there on out things were better, although we wished our other rider could have been there. The rain cleared out, although it never got sunny — which I can’t say I minded that much, as it kept things reasonably cool. Our route was hilly (of course) and beautiful, through farm country in Connecticut and New York.

I was the slowest rider there, but up until the last hour or so I kept up with the others reasonably well. Even in the last hour when I was tired and no longer felt like pushing very hard, I never got that far behind the others. We finished in around six hours, which is a good time for me.

It was a nice way to spend the holiday, and I hope to do more long rides like this one later in the season — and maybe ride even farther next time.


3 comments so far

  1. Leah on

    Sounds like a good 100 miles despite the crash. Glad to hear about your foot! I would have a tough time maintaining more than one blog. Your race reports inspire me though, and so do your thoughts on books. Might as well put them all in one place! 🙂

  2. BettyBetty on

    Oh my. Wonder if he forgot to close the quick release or didn’t seat the tire in the fork correctly? Scary. Good job on the 100. I would never make it 100 miles without a big cushy saddle. I think your feelings on blogging are normal…I have them all the time and feel like who cares how many miles I ride? I always seem to come back to it though…in a weird way it is motivating.

  3. Dorothy W. on

    Leah — thanks, and I’m glad to offer some inspiration! I’m just not sure I want to put tons of bike stuff on the other blog, as my readers there are mostly book people and not bike people … but we’ll see how it works out. I’m waiting to see what feels best.

    BettyBetty — he might have forgotten the quick release, or it’s possible that the fork had a weakness in it and just snapped. Either way, it was frightening. I do like reading about your riding experiences!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: